Monday, November 19, 2012

Sensation Salad

Sensation Salad originated in the kitchen at the old Bob & Jake’s Restaurant in Baton Rouge, LA.  The restaurant has long since been closed...however, I had the great privilege of eating Jack Sabin's Restaurant in the early 70's.....I thought I had died and gone to heaven....the only salads I had eaten prior to this were the old tossed green salad that was made by Mom.... never had I tasted such a thing!   My host and hostess Rig and Carol Rigby introduced me to a whole new way of eating.... unfortunately ... I hadn't learned restraint during the ensuing years!

Anyway... it is a simple and elegant salad that "Ms. Carol" taught me how to make!

Ingredients:

1/2 pound of finely ground Peccorino Romano cheese
1 pint of olive oil
juice on 3 lemons
4 tsp of red wine vinegar
6 cloves of garlic pressed with pulp and all the juice
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley (NOT THE DRIED CRAP)
very cold romaine lettuce  torn into small pieces  


Wash and spin your lettuce and pop into the cooler to chill

take the juice, garlic cloves, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk together...
add the cheese whisking all the time.... adding the olive oil into the whole shebang a little at the time ( you can use a blender.... if your not into the whisking thing!)...  if you make this FAR enough in advance it has time to MARRY and really taste AWESOME!  

chop the parsley up and toss with the Romaine.... and a couple tablespoons of the cheese.... if you have extra..... 

Then GENTLY toss the lettuce with the dressing coating all the leaves..... and serve with fresh croutons... or NOT... the dressing is so good you can almost DRINK it! 


No comments: