Friday, July 4, 2008

The First Step - make a roux

Any good Louisiana cook knows that "first you make a roux" is the first step not only in cooking....but as a logical beginning. This is no different, only it is with words instead of flour and oil.

Let me begin by saying "Hello" and let you know what my site is all about. I am on a journey through life and have stopped along the way to leave you some crumbs so that you too can find your way. As a nontraditional student I have come full circle and am finally ready to strike out and face the world armed with an education.

If you find yourself at an odd place in your life and are floundering, go back to college, it is amazing to see today's young adults and listen to their thoughts and aspirations. I feel inspired everyday as I sit in class with so many brilliant young minds. Don't listen to the negative, as the Waterboy says "You can do it!"

I found myself back in college at the tender age of 51 and have enjoyed every minute of it. I even got myself a student worker's job at the university making a whopping $5.75 per hour! I will probably be working until they put me in the cold hard ground to pay off my student loans, but you know what?... it doesn't matter. I would be owing someone for something, heck a new car cost more than what my education has cost me...so all in all not a bad trade off... a car for an education.

I am at that weird crossroad in life, two grown children, two grandchildren, no husband, no real ties to hold me down and here I am with my degree within my grasp and find myself a little bit afraid.

My lovely daughter and granddaughter have graciously put up with me these last few years and I know they are ready to move on with their lives. I will really miss them and it is hard to think of not meddling in their lives on a day to day basis.

I am from Louisiana and have been up in Tennessee for the last 7 years. This is beautiful country but I miss the seafood, water, music, and culture of Louisiana. I try and keep it alive up here, but it is really hard when all you get is frozen Chinese Crawfish! I love to cook and have a cookbook stewing on my PC as I type! I hope I can impart some of the recipes of the cuisine that I love on this site.

I had an interior business for many years prior to moving to Tennessee, I was an adoption coordinator in New Orleans, shared a craft and antique business with my sister in St. Francisville, LA., had an online homemade soap business for a while, sold real estate up here in Tennessee, owned a gourmet coffee shop/restaurant/antique/gift shop all before I went back to school. Problem is I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! Do you ever feel that way?

Next time I will bring a recipe! Now, go make a roux!

No comments: