Saturday, October 18, 2008

Never Fail Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge

This Fudge has really never failed me! I have used this recipe I found in Plantation Country Cookbook since the early 80's. I altered Karen Hammer's recipe just slightly... of course I did!!! It is JUST who I am! Anyway, it works perfectly.

I guess because the weather has turned chilly up here in Tennessee I started thinking about all the over-indulgent foods we eat during this time of year.



INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 CUPS of Sugar

  • 4 Tablespoons of good cocoa powder

  • 1/2 Cup of Water

  • 1/2 Cup of Evaporated Milk

  • 1/4 Cup of White Karo

  • 1/2 Stick of Butter ( ok you can use Margarine!)

  • 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract

  • 3/4 Cup of Peanut Butter
DIRECTIONS:

  • In a HEAVY Clad pot mix sugar and cocoa stirring until the sugar and cocoa are combined nicely.

  • Add the water and milk.

  • Stir this until everything is moist.

  • Add the syrup and stir it into the cocoa mixture.

  • NOW PUT THIS ON THE STOVE - medium heat

  • Cook until the soft ball stage.
    Soft-Ball Stage
    235° F–240° F
    sugar concentration: 85%


At this temperature, sugar syrup dropped into cold water will form a soft, flexible ball. If you remove the ball from water, it will flatten like a pancake after a few moments in your hand.

Fudge, pralines, and fondant are made by cooking ingredients to the soft-ball stage.
I found this on the Accidental Cook - Science of Cooking
  • Once soft ball stage has been reached remove it from the heat.

  • Add butter and vanilla.

  • Beat it - this adds air into the mixture and helps it cool - I can never wait until it loses its gloss - so I usually go ahead and add the peanut butter! (That is also who I am...!)

  • Add the peanut butter and work FAST- stir, stir, and stir - - just short of it getting stiff.

  • Pour it into a buttered platter.

  • When cool cut into squares.


YUM !!!!


No comments: